What do I do when...

In this Article

My identity has been stolen?
  • Contact the main credit reporting companies (Equifax, Experian, TransUnion) - Check your credit report to see if there has been unexpected or unauthorized activity. Have a fraud alert placed on your credit reports to prevent new accounts being opened without verification.
  • Contact companies, including banks, where you have accounts - Inform the companies where you have accounts that someone may be using your identity and find out if there have been any unauthorized transactions. Close or suspend any accounts you know or believe to have been tampered with or opened fraudulently. In addition to calling the company, send a letter so there is a written record of the problem.
  • File a report - File a report with the local police so there is an official record of the incident. You can also file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.
  • Consider other information that may be at risk - Depending what information was stolen, you may need to contact other agencies. For example, if a thief has access to your Social Security number, contact the Social Security Administration. You should also contact the Department of Motor Vehicles if your driver's license or car registration have been stolen.
I've given out my password?

If you have revealed your password, change your password on EVERY account that uses it. For NetID passwords, also report the disclosure to Help Desk Central at 979.845.8300 or helpdesk@tamu.edu so they can be on the look out for suspicious activity.

I've given out my financial information?

If you have revealed financial information, contact your financial institution immediately and close any accounts that may have been compromised. Watch for any unexplained charges to your account.

I can't log in to my account?

If you can't log in to your NetID account, call help desk central at 979.845.8300 as soon as possible. They can help you find the cause.

I've released confidential information?

Report disclosures of confidential information as soon as you realize they have occurred by emailing itrm@tamu.edu. For additional details about reporting disclosure of sensitive personal information, see SAP 29.01.03.M1.24.

I have a virus on my computer?

Run your antivirus software to recognize and remove the virus. Antivirus software is available at no charge to students, faculty, and staff at software.tamu.edu. Ensure that the virus protection is running the latest version before running a scan. 

If nothing is found with the virus scan, contact Help Desk Central at 979-845-8300. They offer virus removal services and can help with further questions. 

My laptop or mobile device is lost or stolen?

Report the loss or theft to the appropriate authorities, for example, law enforcement or hotel or conference staff. If you have important work information stored on the device, also contact your employer. 

If available, use a program to locate your device (must be set up in advance) and/or erase the data stored on it. 

I receive a litigation/preservation hold?

The Office of General Council (OGC) provides Preservation Hold procedures that will be followed whenever it determines that a litigation/preservation hold is necessary.