Security Control RA-2 - Security Categorization - requires annual scanning of computers for SSNs and removal or approval of all SSNs stored electronically.
To scan systems for SSNs, Texas A&M recommends the following program.
This easy-to-use, Windows or Mac commercial product can scan local drives, mapped drives and email. The license key for this product may be purchased from the Texas A&M Software Center based on FTE count. To use the product, purchase the license key and download the software.
- Purchase the license key
- Download the software
- See recommended settings
- Review Identity Finder's web help
- Note: by default, Identity Finder:
- Searches for SSNs, credit card numbers and passwords
- Shows all search results, including passwords, in plain text
- Searches only for SSNs with appropriately placed dashes
- Searches only the 'C:' drive
For additional help, contact Help Desk Central by phone 979.845.8300 or email email@example.com.
If you have a business need to store SSNs electronically, you must submit an exception request detailing the business need and technical information about the system. For details or to submit an exemption request, see SSN Exemption Requests.